How we started out -
Nichola Meyer and her co-administrator, Koos Turenhout, launched NZ Writers' College in early 2008 and run the college from the foothills of the spectacular Waitakere Ranges in West Auckland. With a staff of over 40 well known writers, the school now offers over 30 specialised online writing courses.
NZ Writers' College is based on the highly successful sister school - SA Writers' College - that Nichola started in 2005 when she still lived in South Africa. The college started with just one course - her Magazine Journalism Course. Word about the course and the college quickly spread, and by 2012 the college was flourishing with more than 30 courses, and tutors who have collectively accumulated more than 40 writing awards.
Some facts about us -
- We have trained students from over 45 companies, including the University of Auckland, TVNZ, Competenz, TradeAid, New Image Asia, Fletcher Construction, NZ Water Board, Wellington City Council, Telecom, Sky TV, NZ Department of Forestry, Parliament, International SOS, Pfizer, British American Tobacco, Highbury Safika Media, New Media Publishers, Caxton Publishers, SABC, Juta, Associated Magazines, Multichoice, Mediaweb, Stellenbosch University, Engel & Völkers, SA Décor & Design, Nedbank, Standard Bank, Old Mutual, Democratic Alliance, Vital Health Foods, Omage Holdings, TWP Consulting, BM Analysts, Natal Museum SA, bs3 and Emperor's Palace.
- We have trained over 3000 students since 2005.
- Our tutors have collectively accumulated or been shortlisted for more than 40 international writing awards, including many Qantas Awards, several Commonwealth Writers' Prizes, four Emmy Awards, the Montana New Zealand Book Awards, ATKV Awards, the Caine Prize for African Writing, the Pen/HSBC awards, the Sir David Beatie Award, the George Foster Peabody Award and the Reed Fiction Award. We only employ full-time, professional writers as our tutors.
- We have over 450 pages of writing resources on our website - 150 of these free to the public.
- We currently have over 4000 pages of course notes written by our tutors - specialist writing knowledge for each genre of writing.
Read archived editorials from our newsletters between 2007 and 2011.
Our College Mission -
We aim to provide students with affordable, specialist writing tuition of exceptional standard. Specifically, all courses are geared to impart and assess writing skills, as well as industry knowledge.
Our College Vision -
We aim to remain one of the top international online writing colleges.
Why we keep growing -
- Our courses offer real training by real writers.
- Our tutors are among the best writers out there. They are finalists for, or winners of, top writing awards.
- Our tutors are passionate, committed teachers. Their testimonials remain excellent, year after year.
- Even though our tutors usually have several university degrees behind their name, they know that successful writers learn most by writing. You can't really "study" writing, just like you can't "study" to become a tennis player. Theory alone will not help you play a better game of tennis. You improve your skill by playing the game, on the court. For writers, the "court" is the blank page. Our courses allow students to practise the craft of writing, over and over.
- We offer input on each line that gets written in assignments, with correction and feedback from our expert coaches.
- Most of our students sign up from word-of-mouth advertising.